Thursday, January 29, 2009

I Agree Phonte.....I Do.



Phonte, one-half of Little Brother is known for his conscious raps, and astute lyricism. With that said, when asked about hip-hop's biggest star's new piece of work, Phonte wasn't too fond of it.

"I've heard ... pretty much ... most of the Kanye West album, and I didn't like it. I was just like 'Get the f*** outta here,' " said the rapper.

"I personally did not like the album. I thought it was ... I honestly thought it was an act of cowardice. I just think that if you're gonna make the creative leaps to sing, then really sing. Let your voice come out, and let people hear all the idiosyncrasies in your voice because that's what makes you uniquely you," Phonte continued.

To further elaborate upon his point, Phonte would compare Kanye's latest endeavor to Aretha Franklin's classic "Respect" record.

"Imagine if Aretha Franklin would've used auto-tune over 'Respect.' It's like all the soul and actual grit and emotion would've been gone. That's what it's like to me. I heard [808s and Heartbreak] and was like 'Ok, this n**** is just biting T-Pain,' " he said.

1 comment:

serenissima said...

*throws on daykeeper*

i actually liked 808s and Heartbreak... but phon does have a valid point there

good post